Friday, October 3, 2008

Of being a Kannadiga and being a Bangalorean Part I

I've been informed recently that these are distinctly different categories. Being a Bangalorean does not automatically make you a Kannadiga, even if you speak the language and have lived here virtually all your life.Honestly!!I was shocked too, I was rendered speechless for a whole ten minutes. That, monkeys, is a record, so give the statement the respect it deserves. So coming back to the topic. There are a few observations I've made, both in Bangalore and other places in Karnataka (yup, limited to my state today).

Bangalore is not considered a part of Karnataka by most Kannadigas - It's true, they treat it like some foreign country all by itself, like a necessary evil. Have to go there to earn money but hate the fact. In Hubli, and Belgaum, they think Bangalore girls are 'fast'. Ok no clue why, but they don't like girls from Bangalore and don't like Bangalore. They act like we're aliens and speak to us in English even after being informed that you speak, write and read Kannada. After that, they act surprised that you can do all the above. But they still snigger because your Kannada is so 'Bangalorean'. So sue me if my school taught me only Ambedkar's life in Kannada and how to write an essay on school sports day. I'll quote examples to prove the point.

Another day, Prashanth and I were returning from Kabini when we went up see the dam there. A surly looking policeman stopped us and said that people were not allowed beyond that point on the dam. We said ok, and were standing there, when he asked where we were from, before I could answer, Prashanth says Hubli (he is actually from there, if you were wondering). The policeman's stance softens considerably, starts speaking to him in Hubli Kannada and even asks a colleague to show us around the dam and the place. I was surprised at the sudden change. Then he asks Prashanth if even I was from Hubli, he says no, she's from Bangalore and they exchange knowing looks. I mean..hello...what's wrong with Bangalore. I love the place. Then he says that he doesn't trust people from here and he's also from north Karnataka. Ok. So we get special treatment because we are from Hubli. Prashanth's all pleased as a punch with himself for that reason and says see. See what? :P Maybe one off incident I say.Apparently not.
       Caught an auto one day, the man spoke to us in english, when we responded back in Kannada, he was extremely thrilled and decided not to ask us 50 Rs more he was planning. AfterPrashanth( yeah yeah...it has to involve him, to show the differential treatment) started speaking in that north Karnataka twang of his, the auto driver was thrilled and called Prashanth a true kannadiga type and gladly took us to the station without even the mandatory one and half they ask.Prashanth got that look on his face again.I mean...damn it!!...I know auto drivers are thrilled when you know Kannada,but what's with non Bangalorean kannadigas getting all the attention....

There is more, but this'll become a really long post..So part II will follow shortly.



0 comments: