Thursday, March 12, 2009

The original Rahman...and his masterpieces

Allright......That's it..This is the 458,658,458th time I am listening to Rahman's 'Jai ho' on the radio. Frankly speaking, there is nothing wrong with the song. It's just that the song is just about ok. But they have been playing to so often and raving about how great it is that I have been complelled to put together a list of his songs which are far better. For the record, I do not claim to be an expert on Rahman, nor is this an exhaustive list of his work. It is just an listof his songs that have made an impact on me.These are great songs, great compositions, and according to me, in the musical land of Rahman, Jai Ho is just average. Here's a list of Rahman's songs I think are great, please feel free to add any I might have missed. Here goes, in no particular order ,

- The whole album from the movie Roja - I cannot choose any, every single song is outstanding.There is a Hindi version, but I feel the Tamil one really brings out the emotions. The whole album I think is one of his best works.
- Thiruda Thiruda - in Tamil - I love the song Konjam Nilavu from the movie.
- Kadhalan - Tamil again - You should listen to Pettai Rap. It is uninhibited fun. The album on the whole is good.
- Bombay - Again has versions in bothTamil and Hindi. Tamil's great, but Tu Hi Re in Hindi is heart wrenchingly beautiful. The Bombay theme makes your hair stand on end.
- Iruvar - Tamil - I have not heard the whole album, but Narumugaye is a song I just cant get out my head. It's timeless.
- Rangeela - Hindi - A fun album - every song is worth listening to more than once.
- Kadhal Desam - Tamil - I think I listened to mustafa mustafa day and night and never got bored. It broke a few records.
- Muthu - Tamil - Thilana Thilana is something only Rehman could have made. Pure fun.
- Minasara Kanavu - Sapnay in Hindi - Vennilavae is Tamil is great - Aawara Bhaware is Hindi is joy unscripted. Feel like dancing every time that song is played.
- Daud - Hindi - I dont know how popular it is but I love the whole album. except probably zehreela pyar. The rest of the album has amazing variation in music.
- Dil Se - Also has the Tamil soundtrack. Since I have listened largely to the Hindi version, I'll refer to it. Has the unforgettable chaiyya chaiyya, Another 'make you feel like dancing in abandon' song. The whole album is simply mindblowing. Listen to E Ajnabi, soulful and beautiful.
- Earth - Hindi - A great movie - An an amazing soundtrack. You need to hear it. Especially Raat ki Daldal hain.
- Doli Saja Ke - Hindi - A cute album. Kissa hum likhenge is the best of the lot.
- Taal - Hindi - Another masterpiece by Rehman - I really cant choose a favorite here. But I am a little bent towards Ramta Jogi.
- Pukar - Hindi - I absolutely love his Kismet se tum. It's an amazing song. The rest are great too. Kay sera sera is a feast for both eyes and ears.
- Alaipayuthey - Tamil and Saathiya in Hindi - A great album in both languages - Snehithane Snehithane in Tamil and O humdum suniyo re in Hindi is what I'd recommend. The whole album is great, in both languages. Do not miss out on it.
- Kandukondein Kandukondein - Tamil - I love the album, my personal favorite is still Kandukondein Kandukondein.
- Fiza - Hindi - Listen to Haji Ali - I really do not have words to describe it. The - Zubeidaa - Hindi - Like the album but my personal favorite is Mehndi hai rachnewali.
- Lagaan - Hindi - Outstanding music - every single song is great. Every.Single.One.
- Boys - Tamil - A total fun album. peppy and happy tunes. Boom Boom is good fun.
- Yuva - Bilingual again - I know the Hindi songs. Dhakka laga Bukka is inspiring.
- Swades - Hindi - Another of his outstanding albums. Absolutely love Yeh jo desh hai mera. Makes you fall in love with India again. The whole album is amazing.
- Rang De Basanti - Hindi - Listen to Lukka chuppi and Khoon chala and tell me you dont feel a lump in the throat. This is Rehman at his best.
- Guru - Hindi - Really like Maiyya maiyya, no complaints about the rest of the songs either.
- Jodhaa Akbar - Amazing soundtrack , personal favorite is Khwaja mere Khwaja.
- Jaane tu ya Jaane na - Hindi - Another peppy, full of life, fun album. Kabhie kabhie aditi will always make me smile.
- Ghajini - Made in Tamil and remade in Hindi - I personally think the Tamil songs are far better (which has been composed by Harris Jayaraj, Rehman only composed the Hindi version, I apologize for the error), but Guzarish in Hindi is great and Kaise main deserves a special mention.
- Delhi 6 - Hindi - I absolutely love this album. From Genda phool to Rehna tu to Kaala bandar to Masakali, I love every song. I think it got a bit overshadowed by the average Jai ho.

These are the songs I love and will listen to anytime and anywhere. Rahman has a vast body of work, across languages. This is just a small glimpse. There are so many more I know I have missed. But these are the ones from the top of my head. The list may increase as Shruthi is always there to give inputs. So here's to Rahman, may he live 300 years and always compose music like he's been doing. :)

11 comments:

Shruthi said...

Ushhhoo! What coincidence.. NOT FAIR!!! I have been compiling few of his songs to list out on my blog . heheheh.. you beat me to it my friend.. still.. will compile and let you know..
I love all songs that you have listed.. specially Yeh Jo des hai from Swades.. I love the shehnai part in it.. His songs from Takshak are also good.
you can read my blog once I finish adding few more ;)

Great post :) anything about Rahman is good for me!

Anantha Krishna said...

i think u've just about mentioned his filmography.

U've left out Vandemataram and Pray for me brother.
There is also this chinese film called warriors of heaven and earth. A piece sung by Sadhna Sargam is a masterful composition.

Also, a Telugu fim called Naani has this beautiful compostion called Amma (Rather pedave palikina).

Also, though i agree with your comment about Jai Ho being just an average song, its the only song probaby of Rahman that has actually been exposed to the western audience. So the hype is justified. We should be happy that this MOZART has finally got the recognition he deserves.

Anantha Krishna said...

Also, Fiza's music was given by Ranjit Barot. Rahman is only the playback singer in "Haaji Ali".

It was Harris Jayaraj who gave the music for Ghajini in Tamil and not Rahman!

Shruthi said...

@Anantha Krishna: Piya Haji Ali from Fiza is composed by Rahman. Ranjith Barot composed only one soundtrack - Mere Watan. The rest of the songs were composed by Anu Malik. Link here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiza
And yes you are right about Tamil Ghajini.

Maanasi said...

@ Shruthi...Thanks :) Dint know about the Tamil one..I shall make due corrections.
@ Anantha Krisha..I know I have missed out a few songs..I just tried to put everything I remembered.

Maanasi said...

@ Anantha Krishna....I am very happy Rehman is getting the recognition he deserves. I was talking about Indians acting like they have heard Rehman for the first time. :)

Anantha Krishna said...

@ SHruthi : Thanks. i did not know about Rahman composing the Haaji ali song. Though i knew it was Anu Malik who composed the song FIZA, i thought it was just a one off song.
:D

@ Maanasi - He he TRUE:D

Shruthi said...

@A & M: :) Any time .. Though I wonder how Anu malik came up with Fiza’s title song.. it’s actually good :p

Split Soul said...

Good list. But you see his music is getting saturated since Rangeela... Daud has the same tunes only slightly modified from Rangeela. Guru has no real good songs and above that Aishwarya Rai..ufff... The rest of the movie is the best. Then Jodha Akbar's Azeem-o-Shaan Shehenshah is slightly better... Listen to the beats of Jai ho, the initial part the latter just comes out naturally. So REHMAN is only experimenting and now he can't dare to try something out of the box. Sorry for this comment, but I'm not a REHMAN fan ;)

meg said...

@ navven. You really neednt be. everyone im sure has opnions. But i must say, im suprised. You are the first one to have said you dont like his works.

Swaram said...

No sarcasm :P Loved ur compilation.
Kismat se tum is my all time favourite; the rendering by Sonu Nigam and Anuradha Paudwal just takes you off to another world.